Thursday, May 31, 2012

I Hope the New Les Miserables Does Not Leave Me Miserable.




I'm really, really not a "movie person".
I can't remember the last time I saw a movie in a theater.
Coraline, maybe?
It's been a while.

But THIS is pretty darn exciting.
Les Miserables.
Giggity Giggity Giggity!


This trailer has JUST been released.
I haven't been this excited about a movie since Harry Potter #5.
(I still haven't seen 6, 7.1 or 7.2 ... but I'll get to it eventually.)

I had some qualms when I first heard about the
Les Miserables remake. There were some truly
horrifying rumors - like the one about Taylor Swift
playing Eponine. The confirmation that Anne Hathaway
would play Fantine was... disconcerting.
The cast includes Hugh Jackman, Amanda Seyfried,
Russell Crowe (ew, barf!) and Sascha Baron Cohen.
This line-up was enough cause for alarm,
but the trailer has quelled my worries.

Director Tom Hooper has plenty of experience
in taking beautiful, complicated stories and adapting
them for the big screen. I have high hopes for this man!

So. Who is playing Eponine?

Samantha Barks!
Oh, thank goodness they cast a a stage-tested actress.


She's adorable, and although she's nothing
close to the legendary Lea Salonga,
I think she'll pull this off, with the help of movie magic.

And who is playing Marius?

Eddie Redmayne.
I've never heard of this guy, but he is handsome
and talented enough to play Marius.
He has a great name. He won a Tony.


For the record, I don't like Marius.
I think I like Eddie, though.


But who the heck will play those crazy Thenardiers?! 

Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen.


I... I don't know what to expect,
but I'm looking forward to it. 

I'm curious to see if they stay true to Les Mis,
with practically all dialogue sung.
I'm also curious to see how Russell Crowe
does as Inspector Javert, that scumbag.

This just might be reason enough to read Hugo's Les Miserables!



No comments: